Saturday, December 10, 2005

How to become a Healthy Samurai...Eat a Healthy Diet...Its that simple...

Kumite Tips #1/Kumite Tips #2/Kumite Tips #3/Kumite Tips #4/Kumite Tips #5/Kumite Tips #6/Kumite Tips #7/Kumite Tips #8/Kumite Tips #9


It's hard to believe that with all of today's scientific and modern medical practices, the boomers, gen x'ers and their children, will by all accounts, not live as long, or be as healthy as their parents and grand-parents.

The three biggest reasons for that unfortunate fact, is our lack of exercise, poor diets and stress...

And it is also the three areas of our lives which we have the most control over...

You see, there are all kinds of reasons or excuses for instance, that I use unconsciously to justify my choice of a Wendy's cheese burger combo with fries and pop, as opposed to the grilled chicken burger with a side salad and a bottled water...

When I make the effort to become aware about how I feel about my choice, I experience the uncomfortable sensation of guilt...

...now I don't like that feeling, so I instantly direct my mind away from the guilt and focus it on how good that greasy burger and fries taste...especially with ketchup on the fries ...and consequently my feelings of guilt become a distant memory.

I know I don't have the greatest diet in the world and it's obvious there are a whole lot of folks in the same boat.

So, what I have attempted to do to rectify this problem, is to try and eat healthy every other day...

If I had the greasy burger and fries on Monday, on Tuesday I will go to Safeway and grab one of those packaged salads and a water or a container of fruit...

That way, I don't experience any guilty feelings and instead get the sense that I am doing something very good for my body.

This alternating of food choices on a daily basis is a good interim step for most people and could lead to an overall habit of simply putting the very best food available into your body.

The example used above was for eating out, but you can use the same principle when cooking for yourself or your family at home...every other night cook a highly nutritious meal with plenty of vegetables, leaner cuts of meat and try to incorporate a different kind of salad as well...

There are many good sources for the proper kinds of food to eat, like the Canada's Food Guide To Healthy Eating...

...or Food Guide Pyramid Topic Page (Food & Nutrition Information Center) and sites that have easy meal planning ideas...

So if you make a conscious effort to eat healthier, your body will perform better and you just might live to be a hundred...

RJF