Monday, September 19, 2005

On becoming a senpai...and some Kumite Tips...

Kumite Tips #1/Kumite Tips #2/Kumite Tips #3/Kumite Tips #4/Kumite Tips #5/Kumite Tips #6/Kumite Tips #7/Kumite Tips #8


The instructor training is going well and I am becoming more and more comfortable with the idea of teaching Karate to others in my community...

I've even been asked to help out an instructor who is going on a cruise in November.

She asked if I would come and help her out with the lower rank belts in her class.

It'll be a great way of easing into the role of a "sensei" or rather subbing as a "sensei"...

...and besides that, her dojo is just up the street from my place.

That's the good thing about our union, they operate about 20 dojo's in and around town...

...so there's always opportunity to do some assisting and gaining even more experience.

Anyway, stay tuned for "sensei in training"...


And now for the Kumite training...

Kumite is by far the funnest part of Karate...especially after the long hours of basics and kata I've put into my second brown belt training...

...it's also the most painful...

Where to start...ok..well, I was initially partnered up with an older fellow, older meaning mid fifties, black belt and large in stature....

...probably 6'2 and 220 lbs and of course, I'm always game for sparring with just about anyone, especially someone who is more experienced and is willing to show me some stuff.

You see, I can honestly say, I wouldn't know what to do in a real street fight, (except run away), if I found myself in one...

I mean, I have enough street awareness to stay out of altercations and avoid trouble in the first place...

And I'm also smart enough to turn over my wallet and cash to a mugger if he wants it...

So Kumite, for me is really about having fun and actually exhibiting some Karate techniques...which for some strange reason alludes me completely once I start sparring...

As a safety precaution, there's no punching or kicking to the head, that's off limits...and that's a very good idea, otherwise I might not be here typing away...

Anybody, at anytime, even a lower rank belt can knock someone down with just the right punch...

...so lesson number 1:

Protect yourself at all times, your partner might not realize you've stopped to catch your breath, and wham...you find yourself dusting the floor...

So stay alert...

Now my Kumite partner, along with some others like to what I call "freight train" me...

...that is they just keep coming towards me, punching away and using their weight to keep pushing me back and consequently making me lose my balance.

What I learned in short order, was to quickly take a full step backwards and immediately push off my front leg to get enough space to gain my balance and immediately counter punch or kick to their body as they continued coming in towards me...

...their forward momentum carries them right into your punch or kick and adds weight to your technique...

...and again for safety's sake, make sure you deliver a decisive blow, but arrest it completely just before you make contact with your opponent...

...the target should be a few centimeters away from the opponents body armor.

Now once in awhile your going to take a punch in the eyes or on the jaw, and at other times your going to take a hard body punch...

...the first thing that pops up into your mind, after getting mad I mean, is to retaliate with some of the same...this is a mistake and as such should be avoided at all costs.

Kumite is partner work, and for the benefit of both Karate-Ka's to develop skill and proficiency.

If someone is hitting too hard or punching you in the head when they are not suppose to, simply tell them that...bow to them and carry on working on your skills.

If they persist in their actions, simply walk away and go stand somewhere away from them...

And don't be fooled by them telling you that it was an accident...it isn't.

The sensei will take notice...and in our particular Dojo, the offender will be warned and told that if he/she continues with their actions, they will not be allowed to participate in Kumite.

If you are in a Dojo that allows this kind of behavior, than you are in the wrong club...take your money and go somewhere else.

...that's all for now..




RJF