Sunday, February 04, 2007

More thoughts on Karate Kumite tournament fighting...

Use the Google search this site for the article your looking for...

Kumite Tips #1/Kumite Tips #2/Kumite Tips #3/Kumite Tips #4/Kumite Tips #5/Kumite Tips #6/Kumite Tips #7/Kumite Tips #8/Kumite Tips #9



Kumite Drills # 1/Kumite Drills # 2/Kumite Drills # 3




You know, preparing for a Kumite match is to say the least, complicated...

...and what I'm learning about it, is that one needs experience and a good instructor.

I recently had my first ever Kumite test match and believe me it was quite an eye opener...

Although it was one of the funnest things I have ever done, so many things went wrong.

It was if I had found myself in a fog facing an opponent who seemed afraid of the street thug that I was turning into, after all, it was suppose to be a fun test match.

Suddenly I was in a fight for my life and my punches started zeroing in on my opponents head, who was by now in total shock, as hitting to the head was only allowed if there was total control and light contact.

I lost total control of myself and was attacking my opponent like Rocky Balboa...

After the stoppage of the match and regaining my senses, I had to go over to my opponent and apologize for my bewildering behavior...

I still don't know what happened to me...

At the end of the evening when my Sensei was handing out participation medals, he had only one word for me, "control"...

...How did I lose control so easily...I'll be talking with my Sensei about that one next time I see him at the Dojo...

Anyway I did some searching on the internet and came across some really good information on preparing for a Kumite match at a tournament, its at

G.Scott on Kumite

Check it out, there's some really good information in there and some stuff that I'm going to be trying myself...

Don't forget to check out the exciting books and dvd's on Karate, Martial Arts, Zen, Weapons, Nutrition and Health from the Indulgent Samurai Store...


RJF