Friday, August 05, 2005

Zen and the Art of Picketing...

It's week 3 into the Telus-Twu labor dispute and walking the picket lines in 30+ degree temperatures isn't exactly pleasant.

It's hard to find a benefit in something like a labor dispute, especially when the 2 chieftains are basically engaged in a pissing contest, but ya, I think I've found one.

I've been working on my Zen breathing on the picket line...well why not I thought...I have to spend my time doing something for the 5-6 hours a day I picket.

It's perfect, I simply put the body on auto drive and start following my breath.

It's not long before my concentration is shattered by the blaring of an air horn from a huge transport truck, as he shows his support by blowing out my ears...

Ok, I shake that off and slowly return my focus to my breathing...in and then a slow exhale out...in and a slow exhale out...I'm doing pretty good I think...damn I'm not suppose to be thinking...ok back to my breath...now back to thinking...on and on for hours...
back and forth.

After 6 hours of picketing, I had about all I could stand and headed home.
Although my body was physically tired my mind seemd surprisingly refreshed and calm.

So what should have been a very stressful situation, turned out to be a very pleasurable one...who would have thought.

Anyway, this labor dispute could drag on for 6 - 9 months...

...hopefully, my breathing and walking Zen meditation will have improved considerably by then...hell I might even try a sitting zazen...or maybe not...


RJF