Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Zen Diary of a 21st century martial artist... 08/03/05

Kumite Tips #1/Kumite Tips #2/Kumite Tips #3/Kumite Tips #4/Kumite Tips #5/Kumite Tips #6/Kumite Tips #7/Kumite Tips #8/Kumite Tips #9


Ok, I've decided to take the month of August off as far as my dojo training goes...my particular dojo shuts down for that month anyway...

...Yah sure I can train at other dojo's, but I think I'll just work out at home or in my back yard...

I'll have plenty of time now because of the lock out at Telus and their labor dispute with the TWU...

I only have to picket for 16 hours a week...the rest of the time I can become indulgent, you know goofing off, drinking beer, calling friends up...thus the indulgent part of the "Indulgent Samurai"

I'm learning that the key to Zen and the Martial Arts is practice...nothing too hard about that right?

That's where discipline comes into play...I have to set aside time and actually practice...not thinking about practicing or putting it off and making up excuses...but simply doing it.

It's the secret to Zen and the Martial Arts ...the secret that isn't a secret at all...but don't tell anyone..its a secret...

I've been pretty dedicated to Karate, going twice a week for about 2 1/2 years now...even on days that were -30 degrees C and my step daughter and myself were the only students there...
...kind of like private lessons, I figured...

Gotta thank my sensei for his dedication. Its that kind of dedication and love for what one does, that makes Karate-do a way of living and a way of conducting ones self.

I've got a second brown belt, I'll be grading for a third brown in November, then a red belt and then a black belt...

I keep telling myself that its not about the belts, it's the knowledge, and sensei Bray never pushes me or anyone else to grade if they don't want to... but of course we all want to.

There's just something inside of me that still focuses on those external goals...gotta get a black belt...than I'll have achieved something, at least some recognition.

...the old ego always trying to take credit for the things the mind and body acheives...

Its all harmless though, as long as I can stay aware and not let myself get carried away like some drunken braggart...

You see, its all about the Martial Arts way of life that a person experiences and lives.

And what I learn from Karate, I can utilize in my life...Its completely transferable and applicable.

I understand that the path I'm on will never end...well... maybe when I die...

Same thing with Zen, only that's more of a different struggle...stay tuned...

Anyway, that's my story so far, and I'm sticking with it...

RJF