Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Kumite Equipment...make sure it fits properly and is in good shape...

Kumite Tips #1/Kumite Tips #2/Kumite Tips #3/Kumite Tips #4/Kumite Tips #5/Kumite Tips #6/Kumite Tips #7/Kumite Tips #8/Kumite Tips #9


I originally bought my Kumite equipment used, (not the groin protector) because the equipment itself can be quite expensive...some where around $300.00 for everything.

Unfortunately on my last outing, I tore the thumb right off one of the punches from a hard reverse shot to my opponents body.

The particular style of punches that I use are 1/2 vinyl foam, and I had already ripped the finger slots off of them in previous sparring sessions.

I had more duck tape holding them together than vinyl...

...so I figured it was time to cough up the money for a new pair.

They just aren't robust enough for the kind of contact being made in our non-contact Kumite classes...

...some nice leather ones would be better I think, as they could better handle the flexing when I tighten my fist on a punch.

While rummaging around the local thrift store the other day, I found a pair of elbow pads which appear to be brand new.

...they actually have more padding than the ones I normally use and they were only $2.50

I'll probably end up replacing all my Kumite equipment over the next year or so, that way the cost is spread out over time.

It's a safety thing for yourself and your opponent that you keep your equipment in good shape, just to avoid any injuries...

Happy sparring...

RJF