Sunday, January 22, 2006

Time...is it an illusion?

Kumite Tips #1/Kumite Tips #2/Kumite Tips #3/Kumite Tips #4/Kumite Tips #5/Kumite Tips #6/Kumite Tips #7/Kumite Tips #8/Kumite Tips #9

Well, it's about time I did some blogging, man talk about being a slacker...

I've got an excuse though, I've been setting up the new computer, and it's taken up way more of my time than I thought it would...

Not to mention the fact that I had to work an evening shift...that sure messes up a guy's routine.

That evening shift also cost me a weeks worth of Karate training, including my favorite, a Kumite class.

Things are starting to return to normal, so I hope to be putting more effort into my Karate especially since I've got a red belt exam coming up in March as well as a badge exam in June and then there's my instructors training...

I started thinking about how much time I was wasting doing things...

...and then wondered if I really was wasting time? I mean, what "is" time anyway?

If I live my life, as best I can in the present moment, as fully aware as possible ...am I really wasting time?

Then I thought about the mechanism that makes up my "sense" of time...

...and I came to the conclusion, that it must be made up of one, ever present moment followed by another, ever present moment and so on and so on.

My sense of time then, is really in part, just the use of my memory...using it to reflect on a particular moment of time in the past along with my imagination, to create an imaginary moment of time in the future.

I thought to myself, that's why I lose all my sense of time when I am concentrating on my Karate, because I am not engaging those 2 mental processes...

...I am living and experiencing my life through the present moment.

That's my understanding of it anyway, I'm only wasting time or rather living in time, when I am not living my life in the present moment.

Now the problem is, I don't live my life in the present moment, at least not as much as I would like too, and that is why I'm thankful to be able to engage in Karate as a means of accomplishing that fleeting reality.

Well, enough about time...it's time to practice my Kata...