Sunday, September 11, 2005

The "do" in martial arts...means practice...

Kumite Tips #1/Kumite Tips #2/Kumite Tips #3/Kumite Tips #4/Kumite Tips #5/Kumite Tips #6/Kumite Tips #7/Kumite Tips #8/Kumite Tips #9


Use the blogger search this blog feature, at the top of the page if you don't see the article you were looking for...thanks RJF


Here is my Indulgent Samurai routine...

...done "hopefully" daily, except on nights when I am at the Dojo, currently Wednesdays and Fridays...

First off Karate-do, means exactly that...the do part I mean.

An Indulgent Samurai has to "do", or rather practice...there is no other way to become proficient at Karate, or the other martial arts without at least, even short practice sessions on a daily basis...

Every morning, due to the fact I have a bad back, I do my warm up exercises, which include stretching, sit ups, and push-ups...

...those are followed by 10 reps each of all the Karate blocks and one punching technique...

...after those I do one sequence out of the twelve black belt grading sequences...

In the evenings, I spend about an hour going through the grading movements for my next belt level, third brown, followed by all the Kata's I have learned up to this point. Of course I will do my grading Kata about 3 times in a row.

I tried to do my Jo staff training, but had to stop because I wrecked a bunch of ceiling tiles in the basement...

Anyway, that's my routine...and I faithfully try to stick to it.

Of course, I am an Indulgent Samurai and at times I get caught up with other things in life and miss a routine...but that's ok...like in zazen, as long as I keep returning to my breath in meditation and my karate practice, I will be walking my path, my karate-do way of life.

RJF