Saturday, September 10, 2005

The Jo staff...a great training tool...

Kumite Tips #1/Kumite Tips #2/Kumite Tips #3/Kumite Tips #4/Kumite Tips #5/Kumite Tips #6/Kumite Tips #7/Kumite Tips #8/Kumite Tips #9


Use the blogger search this blog feature, at the top of the page if you don't see the article you were looking for...thanks RJF


The long journey for the Reluctant Samurai on becoming a Karate instructor and running my own Dojo has begun.

Last night, I took my first instructors class run by our Karate Union. It has a very comprehensive training and certification program for a member who wants to start their own Dojo.

Any member in the Union with a green belt or higher, may attend the instructors program.

Right now, I hold a second brown belt and plan to work towards my black belt, while achieving at least a first level certification in Karate instruction.

Hopefully, after a year and a half, I will be able to start my own affiliate Dojo under the banner of our Union.

I also started Jo staff training, as it has now become part of the first level instructors program.

This particular Jo is the solid hardwood straight Jo, approximately 4 feet long and 1 to 1 and a half inches in diameter.

Using the Jo is very good for building upper body strength; I could feel the burn in my forearms as well as my shoulders and chest.

When training with the Jo, your movements in the beginning have to be very slow, especially with your partner because you can injure them with even a slight rap from this weapon.

Here’s some history on the Jo: Jo: The Combat Weapon of Japan and Okinawa

And if your looking to purchase a Jo check out my Martial Arts Supply blog. Martial Arts Personal Shopper & Martial Arts Supply Reviewer: Martial Arts Weapons...The Jo Staff...best supply on the net...


RJF